Error 0x800704cf is a general problem which the Windows users get while trying to access network PC. Whenever users try to access any network PC, they receive this annoying error notification. In this case, faulty system configuration is the main reason behind the occurrence of this issue. Also, sometimes, the users might confront this type of error code because of the busy Microsft activation servers. This error might be fixed by running a full scan. But, if you are still dealing with this same problem, then here is the proper solution in your hand. We are going to discuss some major reasons and adequate solutions to mitigate this error. So, go through this article and try to apply these methods respectively.
Probable Reasons for Error 0x800704cf:
The Windows 10 update error 0x800704cf comes along with a message that says, ‘Network error – Windows cannot access’ or ‘Error code: 0x800704cf. The network location cannot be reached’. Now, take a look at the common reasons behind the error:
- Busy Microsoft activation servers
- Faulty system configuration
- Connection problems
- Registry errors
Try These Effective Hacks to Fix Error Code 0x800704cf:
These are some of the most valuable and active solutions which you can try out in order to fix Network Error Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file with error 0x800704cf in Windows 10 computer. Apply all these meth9ods one-by-one to eradicate this error completely:
Hack 1: Change Adapter Settings
This is the first way to get rid of this error using the Network and Sharing center. So, you have to follow these steps in order to change the adapter settings:
For Windows 10 users:
- First of all, press and hold the Windows key and I button from the keyboard.
- When the System Settings window appears on the screen, select ‘Network & Internet (Wi-Fi. Airplane mode, VPN)’.
- Now, all the network connections show on the computer screen.
- Then, find the Change Adapter option and access the feature.
- After that, select the Wi-Fi connection you are currently using.
- Choose ‘Properties’ and click on the ‘Networking’ tab.
- Next, unmark the ‘Client from Microsoft Networks’ option.
- Lastly, save all the changes and restart your PC. Check if the problem gets resolved or not.
For Older Versions:
- At first, click on the Start menu and go to the Control Panel section.
- Select the ‘My Network Places’ option.
- Then, choose ‘Properties’ from the Context menu.
- When the Network Connections window appears, open the ‘Local Area Connection’ option.
- Now, click on the ‘General’ tab.
- After that, mark the ‘Client for Microsoft Networks’ option.
- Lastly, press OK and reboot the system.
Hack 2: Reset TCP/IP
If the above solution fails to resolve this error 0x800704cf, then TCP/IP might create the issue. Therefore, you need to reset TCP/IP by applying the steps mentioned below:
For Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Users:
- Click on the Start menu and type CMD in the Search option.
- Then, click on the Command Prompt option.
- After that, choose ‘Run as Administrator’.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command:
‘netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt’
- Hit the Enter button.
- If you do not need to designate a directory path, type the following command:
‘netsh int ip reset’
- Lastly, reboot your device.
For Windows 7 and Windows Vista Users:
- At first, click on the Start menu and type CMD in the Search option.
- Now, click on ‘Programs’ and select ‘Command Prompt’.
- Then, click on the ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
- When the User Account Control window displays, select the ‘Yes’ option.
- Type the following command in the Command Prompt section and press Enter:
‘netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt’
- Now, type the following command if you don’t want to point out the directory path for a long period:
‘netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt’
- After completing this process, reboot the system.
For Windows XP Users:
- Click on the Start menu and go to the Run option.
- Then, type ‘Cmd’ in the Run dialog box.
- Open ‘Command prompt’ and type the following command:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
- If you do not specify a path for a prolonged period, then enter the following command:
netsh int ip reset
- Reboot your computer and check the issue once.
When you perform the reset command, it overwrites the registry keys used by TCP/IP mentioned below:
After doing this, you reset the TCP/IP successfully. Finally, you need to check if the error 0x800704cf still appears or not.
Fix 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network Adapters
Another solution is to uninstall the network adapters if you are still encountering this issue on your PC. Just follow the below guidelines one-by-one and apply them in your own way:
- Firstly, click on the Search option.
- Then, open Device Manager.
- Now, select ‘Click on View’ option and click on the ‘show hidden files’ option.
- After that, choose ‘Network Adapters’ to open the list of adapters.
- Next, right-click on each adapter and click on the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- If you don’t want to uninstall a certain Adapter, then select the next entry.
- After doing this, select the Action option.
- Click on the ‘Scan for hardware changes’ option.
- Now, check the ‘Delete the driver software for this device’ box.
- Press OK to save all the changes and reboot the system to complete this uninstallation process.
- After restarting, Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver and replacing it with the manufacturer’s driver.
- If the driver is installed automatically, then click on the Device Manager folder.
- Next, select ‘Action’ and click on the ‘Scan for hardware changes’ option.
Finally, figure out if the error 0x800704cf is fixed or not. If not, then proceed through the next hacks.
Fix 4: Run the SFC scan
Basically, the SFC scan helps to replace or repair the corrupted files. If you notice that the error code 0x800704cf strikes to the corrupted files, then it’s a worth try. Therefore, you need to perform the SFC scan by applying these directions as cited below:
- At first, right-click on the Start menu.
- Next, go to the Command Prompt section.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ‘sfc/scannow’.
- Press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Then the SFC scan will scan your device. Don’t cancel the scanning process until it finishes completely.
- After scanning, if it will display the corrupt files of your device, then type this following command:
“findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.”
- Then, press the Enter key. If you want to skip this, then just type this command,
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”.
- You can find the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file which will appear on the screen.
Fix 6: Run the DISM Tool
If none of the above tricks fails to solve this error, then the last resort is to run the DISM tool. So, follow the instructions cited below:
- First of all, press the Windows logo key and the R key on the keyboard together.
- When open the Run dialog box, type ‘cmd’ or tap on the Shift, Ctrl and Enter key together.
- Then, run the Command prompt section as an Administrator.
- After that, if you will be asked for permission, then click on YES to run it.
- Now, type the Command and press the Enter key.
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth”
This command helps to scan all the system files and verifies whether the files are official or not. But, this line doesn’t prevent corruption. It will take some minutes to complete.
- Next, write “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” and hit the Enter key. It will check whether the Windows 10 image of your device is corrupted or not.
- After completing it, type this command:
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”.
This command helps to repair the corrupted files. It will replace the corrupted files with the secured ones.
- Wait for sometimes and close the Command Prompt. Now, check if this problem still persists or not.
Hope that your PC will be free from the error 0x800704cf if you have gone through all the above steps accurately and properly. If you are still getting any Windows network issues or unable to resolve this error code on Windows 10, then let us know using the comments section below.