When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version of this Operating System, then sometimes due to hardware incompatibility or some other critical issue you can encounter the “critical structure corruption” error.
This is a ‘Blue Screen of Death’ error, which when occurs can crash and then render the system unusable. There are quite a lot of causes for the occurrence of this issue. If the graphics or video driver is not up to date, then you might face this issue. Or, if the memory module of the computer starts to malfunction or get corrupted somehow, then you might meet with this issue.
Apart from that, if the system files of the computer are corrupted somehow, then there is a possibility for you to face this glitch. Moreover, if the hard drive of the computer has some problems or the flies within it gets corrupt then you can face this problem.
Here, in this article we are going to discuss the solutions to fix this issue on a Windows 10 system. So, if you are facing this error, then follow and apply the fixes explained here for a quick resolution of this error.
How to Fix the Critical Structure Corruption Error on Windows 10
This is the section of the article that will provide you the fixes to rectify the critical structure corruption error on a Windows 10 system. So, apply the fixes one by one and see which one works best for you.
Inspect the RAM Memory Module
When the RAM module starts to malfunction or does not work as it should, then there is a chance for you to encounter this error. Now, the best answer to resolve this problem is to check the memory and then properly reseat the RAM module into the slot present on the motherboard.
- First, open the back panel of the laptop or the cabinet of the desktop to reveal the internal components of the motherboard.
- Next, locate the RAM modules within the motherboard and then take them out from their slots. After that, clean the dust from the connector pins of the RAM modules using an eraser.
- Once the cleaning process is complete, next, seat the memory modules into their respective slots firmly on the motherboard and close either the back panel or the cabinet door.
- Next, start the computer in ‘Safe Mode’ by pressing the ‘F8’ key from the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ screen.
- After that, press the ‘Cortana’ logo to launch the ‘Search’ section. Next, within that section, type in the text “memory diagnostic”. Now, from the search output, locate the ‘Windows Memory Diagnostic’ option and right-click on it.
- From the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option. As soon as you do that, a new dialog box with the name ‘Windows Memory Diagnostic’ will come up.
- Inside that dialog box, there will be two distinctive links. Out of all those links, choose the one that says “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)”.
- Once you click on that link, the system will reboot and the memory test process will begin. Wait for this test process to get over.
- If this test is a success then no problem, otherwise purchase a new RAM and replace the old one.
Inspect the Hard Disk Drive
When the hard disk within the computer has some internal problems like bad sectors and etc, then you might face the critical structure corruption issue. The feasible solution to solve this problem is to examine the hard drive using the ‘Check Disk’ utility.
In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, press the combination of ‘Windows+ R’ keys simultaneously. This will open up a new dialog box having the name ‘Run’.
- Inside the ‘Run’ dialog box, type in the text ‘cmd’ on the empty space beside the label ‘Open’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key.
- As soon as you do that, a new window having the name ‘Command Prompt’ with a white text and black background will come up.
- Inside that window, type in the following command “chkdsk c: /r” and then press the ‘Enter’ button. Now, wait for the ‘Check Disk’ tool to examine the hard drive completely and find any problems with it.
- If there is some error that cannot be fixed, then replace the hard drive with a new one, otherwise, go to the next method.
Perform a Clean Boot
If the during boot some application malfunctions, then you can face this problem. Now, a simple way to resolve this problem is to perform a clean boot. A clean boot is a process that lets the machine start with a minimum number of applications that are necessary.
Follow the steps underneath.
- First, hit the keys ‘Windows + S’ keys together, to open up the default search section of the Operating System.
- Inside that section, type in the text “system configuration” on the blank area and then from the search result, locate and then choose the ‘System Configuration’ option.
- As soon as you do that, a new ‘System Configuration’ dialog box will come up. Within that window, choose the ‘Services’ tab. Under that tab, below the list of all the services, put a checkmark in the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ option.
- After that, click the ‘Disable all’ button. Now, go to the ‘Startup’ tab and then, in it, click on the ‘Open Task Manager’ link. Now, a new ‘Task Manager’ window with an already open ‘Startup’ tab will come up.
- Inside that tab, select every startup program one-by-one and then, below the list, choose the ‘Disable’ button. Once all the startup program has been disabled, close the ‘Task Manager’ and ‘System Configuration’ window.
- Finally, restart the machine and check if this issue gets fixed or not.
Execute both the SFC and DISM Utility
When the system files within the computer get corrupted somehow, then you might encounter this problem. The correct way to resolve this problem is to run both the SFC and DISM tools.
The SFC or System File Checker is a built-in tool that scans the machine for any damaged files and then replaces them with the correct one. If the SFC utility cannot rectify all the corrupt system files then run another built-in tool DISM or Deployment Image and Servicing Management, that will repair corrupt system files. Follow the steps given below.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows’ logo. This action will open up the ‘Option Menu’
- Inside that menu, locate and choose the ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ option.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with a black background and white text will come up.
- Now, inside that window, type in the command “sfc /scannow” and then tap on the ‘Enter’ key. Wait for this command to execute.
- Once the execution of the above command is over, input two other commands ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth’, ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’ and press the ‘Enter’ button after each.
- Wait for each of the above commands to run completely.
- At last, start the computer once again and then see if this problem gets fixed or not.
Update the Video or Graphics Driver
If the graphics or video driver starts to malfunction, then you can face this glitch. Now, the best way to get rid of this problem is to perform an update of the video driver installed within the machine. Here are the steps to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows + X’ keys simultaneously to launch the ‘Options Menu’.
- Inside that menu, locate and then choose the ‘Device Manager’ option. Now, a new window having the name ‘Device Manager’ will come up.
- Inside that window, locate and choose the ‘Display adapters’ device category. Now, double-click on it to reveal the sublist containing the driver.
- From that sublist, right-click on the driver and then choose the ‘Update driver’ option from the popup menu. As soon as you do that, a new window with two links will come up.
- Among those two links, choose the first one that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. Now, the OS will automatically search for any updates regarding the driver.
- If any updates are available, then those will be automatically downloaded and installed.
- At last, when the installation of the driver is complete, reboot the machine and check whether this problem is present or not.
In order to fix the Windows 10 critical structure corruption issue easily all you have to do is follow the fixes given in this article, carefully and minutely. You can also mention in the comments as to which of the solutions worked for you.