With the new Windows Operating System, updates are available from time to time in order to fix some major and minor issues. In order to get the best security, Microsoft provides new builds based on the feedback. Additionally, with a lot of new features of the Windows Operating System, there may be an issue or two associated with it. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, many users are receiving error 0x8000ffff when they are trying to purchase or download apps from the Windows Store app. The Windows error code 0x8000fff indicates that your system cannot properly communicate with the Windows Store Servers. There can be numerous causes for this issue but the most common cause is because of a glitch with Microsoft App Servers. The Microsoft app Servers can be down or the load on the server is high.
Therefore, if you are in wait to get the issue resolved then you are at the right place. Here, in this article, you will get the best hacks and methods to resolve the Windows error code on your own. But before we start off with the solutions, we suggest that you follow the symptoms and the reasons for the issue to occur. Hence without wasting any more time, let us proceed to the next section of the article.
Symptoms of the Error 0x8000ffff that you can Observe on your System
In this section of the article, you will get to know the common symptoms that you can observe on your system. The symptoms of this Windows error code are given below:
- The Windows 10 error 0x8000ffff is displayed on the screen of your system.
- When the error occurs it crashes the active program.
- The system may become sluggish and then will not respond to any hardware input.
- The system may freeze periodically for a while.
Therefore, these are some of the common symptoms that can appear on your system’s screen. Now we will discuss the causes of this Windows error.
Know the Causes of the Windows error 0x8000ffff
After knowing the symptoms of the Windows error it is important to know the causes of it. Having a good knowledge of the causes of the issue helps the user to fix it fast. The reasons that are responsible for this Windows error code are as follows:
- If there are Microsoft Store app cache bugs then you can face this Windows error.
- Having corrupt system files and folders can also lead to the occurrence of the error 0x8000ffff.
- If the date and time of the system are not properly set then you can get the error code 0x8000ffff on your system.
- If in case your system has recently been attacked by a virus or malware, then also the error code may occur.
- Incorrectly loaded drivers of the Windows Operating Operating System can cause this Windows error code.
- Some of the conflicting programs of the system may interfere with the Microsoft Store app. This conflict may also lead to the occurrence of the issue.
- As mentioned earlier if the Microsoft Store servers are down, then also you may receive the code 0x8000ffff.
So, these were some of the common causes of the error code. If you are having an issue due to the above causes then you can follow the hacks that are given below in the next section of the article.
Methods to Fix the Catastrophic Failure 0x8000ffff Easily
Here, in this section of the article, we will discuss the methods to fix the catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff issue on your own. follow all the steps without any miss so that the things should not go out of hand. Therefore, in order to know the methods you can follow the section below:
Method 1: Run the inbuilt Windows App Troubleshooter to Fix the Error 0x8000ffff
The Windows Operating System has its own troubleshooter to fix any major and minor issues. Hence, you can take the help of the tool in order to fix the Windows error code. However, if you have no knowledge about this Troubleshooter tool then you can take our help. Therefore, follow the steps that are given below to carry out the fixing process:
- In the first step, click on the Start menu icon and then type Troubleshoot in the search bar.
- After entering the command, hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, scroll down and then click on the Windows Store Apps.
- After that, click on the Run the Troubleshooter option.
- Let the scanning process of the Troubleshooter tool finish its tasks.
- If in case there are any problems, Windows will automatically report it and fix the issue on its own.
- When the process gets completed, you can try to check if the error 0x8000ffff occurs again or not.
So, this is how you can use the Windows app Troubleshooter to fix the issue that you are facing. However, if you are still getting the same issue on your system, then you don’t need to worry. You can follow the next method in order to get the Windows error fixed at the earliest.
Method 2: Reset the Microsoft Store App Cache files
Resetting the cache files helps to resolve many of the Microsoft Store problems. Therefore, you can try to perform this method. In order to know the steps of the process, you can follow the section given below:
- First of all, press and hold the Windows logo key and the S key from your keyboard at the same time.
- After that, type wsreset command. From the list of results, right-click on the wsreset option.
- Now from the list of options, select the Run As Administrator option.
- If in case you get any User Account Control prompt, then you can click on the Yes button to continue.
- Now, wait for the system to reset the Microsoft Store App cache files.
- When the Microsoft Store app automatically opens, this means that the cache files have been reset.
- Now you can check if the Windows error 0x8000ffff still persists or not.
We hope that now you are able to fix the error code easily on your own. If in case you are still facing the same issue then you can follow the next section of the article.
Method 3: Delete the Microsoft Store Cache Files Manually to Fix the Error Code 0x8000ffff
If resetting the Microsoft Store cache files does not help to resolve the Windows error code, then you can delete the cache files of it. If in case you are not familiar with the process, then we will help you out. You can have a look at the steps that are given below:
- From the keyboard, press and hold the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time.
- This action will open up the Run dialog box on your screen.
- In the command box of the Run dialog box, enter the following command: %localappdata%\\Packages\\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\\LocalState.
- After entering the above command, click on the OK button to execute the command.
- Now, find the folder named as Cache. After finding the Cache folder, right-click on it.
- From the list of options, select the Rename option.
- Now, name the Cache folder as Cache.old. After making all the changes, close the File Explorer.
- Now, check if the error 0x8000ffff is resolved or not.
After performing the above steps, if the Windows error code still occurs, then we suggest that you have a look at the next method of the troubleshooting process.
Method 4: Re-register the Microsoft Store App on your system
If you found out that the main culprit of the Windows error 0x8000ffff is not the cache files, then you can try to re-register the app itself. As you know that the Microsoft Store app is one of the inbuilt apps, so you cannot just normally uninstall it using the Programs & Features applet. Therefore, you can follow the steps of the re-registering process of the Microsoft Store app as given below:
- In the first step, open the Start menu and then type PowerShell in the search bar.
- From the list of results, right-click on the PowerShell option. Now, click on the Run as Administrator option from the popup list of options.
- A new black window will open. Inside the window, type Get-Appxpackage -Allusers command in the command line. After that, press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, find the entry of the Microsoft Store app and then copy the package name by using the Ctrl + C hotkey.
- After that type Add-AppxPackage -register “C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\” –DisableDevelopmentMode command in the command line.
- Now instead of the Package Full Name, paste the Windows Store package name by using the Ctrl + V hotkey.
Steps of Method 4 Continued:
- After that, again open the PowerShell window with administrative permissions just like in the above steps.
- Now type Add-AppxPackage -register “C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\” –DisableDevelopmentMode command in the command line. After entering the command, press the Enter key from your keyboard.
- When the command finishes its execution, you can reboot your system.
- After your system reboots, check if the Windows error code occurs again or not.
Therefore, these were the steps that will help you to re-register the Microsoft Store app on your system. Hopefully, now you have resolved the Windows error on your own. However, if you are unable to follow the above steps, then you can follow the next method that is given below.
Method 5: Fix the Time and Date Parameters of your System
If in case your system runs an incorrect time and date, then you may face the Windows error 0x8000ffff. Therefore, set the time and date so that you can fix the issue quickly. Hence, the steps that you can follow to set the Time and Date are given down as follows:
- First of all, open the Start menu by clicking on the Start menu logo at the taskbar.
- Next, type Date and Time in the search bar of the Start menu. After entering the command hit the Enter key form your keyboard.
- Once the Date and Time window opens, make sure that all the parameters are correct.
- If the parameters are not correct, then set the Set Time Automatically option to the ON state.
- Also, set the Set Zone Automatically option to the On state.
- After doing all this, close all the windows and then check if the Window error persists or not.
So this is how you can fix the Date and Time issue of your system. Now we hope that your issue is resolved easily. If in case you want to know more about the fixing process then you can visit the next section of the article.
Method 6: Perform a Clean Boot of your System
If none of the above methods help to resolve your Windows error, then you can perform a clean boot of your system. Performing a clean boot of your system helps to fix most of the issues easily. Therefore, in order to know the steps of the clean boot process, you can follow the points that are given down below:
- In the first step, type System Configuration in the search bar of the Start menu. After entering the command, hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, go to the Services tab of the window and then choose the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- In the next step, click on the Disable All option. Now open the Startup tab and then choose the Task Manager option from the list of options.
- After that, mark all the apps that do not belong to the Microsoft services and then click on the Disable option.
- Now, exit the Task Manager and then click on the OK button on the System Configuration dialog box.
- After that, restart your system and then you check for the error occurrence.
After following the above steps you will now able to fix the issue. If the Windows error code still troubles you then you can follow the next method of the fixing process.
Method 7: Fix the error 0x8000ffff by using the Media Creation Tool of the Windows System
In the next method of the fixing process, you can use the Media Creation tool in order to fix the Windows error. If you do not know the steps, then you don’t need to worry. Follow the section below to get the steps for the fix:
- First things first, get the Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft website. When the Media Creation Tool downloads, run it as an Administrator.
- On the next page, select the Upgrade this PC now option. After that, click on the Next button to continue.
- Now, enter the product key of the Windows Operating System. Hit the Install button to continue the process.
- After that, wait for the Windows Operating System to install. When the system reboots, check if the Windows error code is resolved or not.
Hopefully, now you will be able to fix the error 0x8000ffff yourself. However, if you want to learn more about the methods, then you can follow the next section of the article.
Method 8: Delete the Software Distribution Folder
You can fix the Windows error code by deleting the Software Distribution folder. If you want to know the steps of this process then you can have a look at the points of the given below:
- At first, type Command in the search bar of the Start menu. Then from the list of results, right-click on the Command Prompt option.
- In the next step, click on the Run as Administrator option from the popup list of options.
- Now a new black Command Prompt window will open up on your screen. Inside the black Command Prompt window, enter the command “net stop wuauserv” in the command line.
- After that, enter the command “net stop bits” in the command line. Remember to hit the Enter key from the keyboard after entering both the commands.
- Now open the Windows File Explorer window and then type C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution into the address bar of the window.
- Open the Software Distribution folder and then press the CTRL + A keys to select all the files inside the folder. Then, delete all the files.
- Now restart your system and then check if the issue occurs again or not.
Therefore these were the steps that you can follow to get the issue resolved. However, in case you are still struggling with this Windows issue then you can follow the next method.
Method 9: Check the Windows Cryptographic Service of your System
The Windows Cryptographic Service has very close ties with the Microsoft Store app. Therefore, if in case the Windows Cryptographic Service is not working then you can get the Windows error code 0x8000ffff. Hence, fix the service as soon as possible. Hence you can have a look at the steps that are given below:
- Inside the search bar of the Start menu, type ‘services’ command and then select the best match from the results.
- Search for Cryptographic Services and then make sure that the service is set to start automatically.
- If in case the services are off, click on the Start button.
So, this is how you can fix the Windows Cryptographic Services to resolve the Windows error code easily. Now we hope you were able to fix the issue.
Method 10: Some other basic Fixes
You can check if the Windows Operating System is up to date or not. In another case check if the network drivers of the system are working fine. Additionally, you can check if the Windows System Files are not corrupted. You can use the System file checker to check and fix the system files.
Hopefully, the above methods helps you to fix the error 0x8000ffff easily. If in case you are still having some problem then you can get back to us through the comments section given below.