MS Outlook is one of the most widely used email clients all over the globe. It is used by several corporate organizations and naive users. Outlook comes included with the Microsoft Office series. It also comes with a separate application as well. But, Outlook is also not free from random glitches. The user of the MS Outlook often faces several errors. And 0x8004010f is one of the most common errors faced by several users. It comes with the error message ‘Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed.’ This error code normally occurs while receiving or sending emails. It’s a type of MAPI or Messaging Application Program Interface error code. Moreover, this error also happens while synchronizing the OAB (Offline Address Book). In addition, when you try to download the OAB files, then you can also face this error.
So, if you are facing the same error and tired by finding the solutions of this error, then you have just arrived at the right place. Here in this article, we are going to present some easy hacks that can help you to fix the error code 0x8004010f at a short span of time. Hence, you need to follow the article given below. So, let’s start.
What Causes the Error 0x8004010f?
When you connect any Exchange Server on the MS Outlook, then all the data that are related to the mail is saved in the OST (Offline Storage Table) file. This file can help the user to proceed even when the server is in rest. The error 0x8004010f might happen due to several reasons. And it becomes easy when you know the actual cause behind your problem. Hence, you need to have a look at the reasons given below:
- Corrupted Outlook profile.
- Any changes in the location of the .PST files or Outlook folders in the system.
- Damaged Offline Storage Table files.
- If the profile of the Outlook mail is not configured in a proper way, then you can face this error.
- If you use the old Offline Storage Table file after upgrading to the latest version of Outlook, then it might be the reason behind the error code 0x8004010f.
- This error also can happen due to the misconfigured PST (Personal Storage Table) file.
Now, you are aware of the possible reasons behind the error. Match the above reasons with your current situation and identify a particular reason. Now, you just need some tricks to fix this issue.
Easy Tips and Tricks To Fix the Error 0x8004010f :
Depending on your specific reason you need to opt for the particular solutions given below. Or you should try all of them.
Solution 1: Create a Different Outlook Profile
If the corrupted Outlook profile is the main reason behind your issue, then this can be your ultimate solution. To create a new Outlook profile first you need to find the present location of the default Offline Storage Table file. Then, try to create a new Outlook account by following the steps given below:
Step 1: Find the Default Data File of the Outlook File
Follow the steps given below to find the default Outlook data files:
- At first, move the cursor to the left-bottom corner of the screen and click on the Start menu.
- Now, look at the left pane of the Start menu and click on the Control Panel.
- Tap on the option ‘Mail.’
- It will open the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ command box.
- Click on the ‘Show Profiles’ option.
- Now, you have to choose the Outlook profile that you are using.
- Click on the option ‘Properties.’
- After that, the windows will prompt the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ command box again.
- Click on the ‘Data Files’ option.
- Now, the window will prompt the ‘Account Settings’ command box.
- Go to the Data Files section.
- After that, you have to note the location and name of your default Outlook account.
- Now, you will see the default Outlook profile is indicated by a cross mark.
- Close the current window.
Step 2: Create a New Outlook Account
You can create a new account using two different methods. One of them is auto setup and the other is a manual process. Follow both of them given below:
Auto Setup POP3 or IMAP Email Account
To perform this, you need to follow exactly as instructed below:
- At first, go to the Start menu and then navigate to the Control Panel.
- Now, you will see the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ command box.
- Click on the option ‘Show Profiles.’
- Then, you have to choose the Outlook account that you are using.
- Click on the option ‘Add.’
- Now, you need to type a name for your new profile on the dialog box of the New Profile.
- Click on the Ok button.
- The window again prompts the ‘Add New Account’ command box.
- Then, you have to type the email information.
- Click on the Next button.
- After completing the configuration procedure, you need to click on the Finish button.
Manual Procedure to Create POP3 or IMAP Email Account
To create a new account manually, you need to stick to the steps that are as follows:
- At first, perform the same steps as ‘Auto Setup POP3 or IMAP Email Account’ procedure.
- Then, you have to select the ‘Choose Service’ command box. Choose the ‘Internet E-mail’ option.
- Now, click on the Next button.
- It will open the ‘Internet E-mail settings’ command box. Then, you have to type the details of your account.
- Now, you need to test the account. Click on the ‘Test Account Settings.’
- Choose the option ‘Existing Outlook Data File’ and click on the ‘Browse’ option.
- It will open the ‘Open Outlook Data File’ command box.
- Find and choose the data files that you located earlier.
- Click on the Ok button. Then, select the option ‘Next.’
- Tap on the Close button and then the Finish button.
Step 3: Configure the New Outlook Account as your Default Account
To perform this, follow the steps as follows:
- Go to the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Then, you have to open the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ command box. Then, click on the ‘Show Profiles’ option.
- Now, choose the ‘Always use this profile’ option.
- Select a new profile from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Ok button.
Solution 2: If Creating a New Account is not Possible
Some users use several email ids in Outlook. Then, creating the other Outlook account might not be possible for them. In this situation, they need to follow the steps given below to fix the outlook error 0x8004010f:
- Open the Outlook. Then, go to the File tab. Click on the ‘Account Settings’ option. Then, again click on the ‘Account Settings’ option.
- Click on the option ‘Change Folder.’ Then, click on the ‘+’ sign to expand it.
- Choose the Inbox and tap on the option ‘New Folder’ to create a different temporary folder.
- Give your desired name to the folder. Then, tap on the Ok button.
- Now, you have to select the folder that you have just created.
- Click on the Ok button. Now, the message location will show the new folder.
- Then, back the temporary folder its original location. To do this, you need to click on the ‘Change Folder’ option.
- Select the Inbox and click on the Ok button.
- After that, you have to close the Account Settings. Then, click on the ‘send/receive.’
Solution 3: Disable the Third-party Antivirus Software
According to some experts, Outlook error 0x8004010f may be occurred by the third-party antivirus software installed on your Computer. That is not unexpected because the anti-malware disputes with another software program, as well as Microsoft Office applications are not an exemption. To disable the antivirus software, first, you need to disable the process of an antivirus using Task Manager. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, hit the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc key simultaneously to open the Task Manager. Or if you prefer, you can also move the cursor to the bottom of the display and click on the Taskbar. Then select the option ‘Task Manager’ from the list.
- In this process, scroll down the list to locate the antivirus program that is running on your Computer.
- Right-click on the antivirus software. Then click on the ‘End task’ option.
In addition, you can also uninstall the security software that is currently running on your Computer. Replace the antivirus with other compatible antivirus software (be careful that any corrupted antivirus or malware software can damage your Computer).
Now, check that the error 0x8004010f still occurs or not. If you still face the same issue, then move on to the further solution.
Solution 4: Disable the Firewall Temporarily
Now, you should try to modify the setting of the Windows firewall to fix the error 0x8004010f. To perform this, you need to try to perform the steps given below:
- At first, you have to hit the Windows key and R both at the same time to launch the Run command box. Then, you have to type ‘Firewall.cpl’ in the Run box. Click on the Ok button or hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Look at the left side of the Start menu. Then, click on the ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall’ option to turn it off or on.
- Turn the Firewall off for public as well as a private network. Then, tap on the Ok button.
After performing this, if you still face the same error, then perform the next method.
Solution 5: Run SFC or System File Checker
SFC or System File Checker is a method that can help you to find damaged system files as well as it can help you to repair them. To run the SFC on your Computer, you need to perform the steps given below:
- At first, you to hit the Windows key and R both at the same time to launch the Run command box. Then, type ‘cmd’ in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- As a result, it will show the ‘Command Prompt’ option. Right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option to run the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Then, type ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt window. Then tap the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, you have to wait for a few seconds until the system started to perform the repairing automatically.
- After completing this procedure, you need to restart the system.
After performing the above method, check whether the error is resolved or not.
Advance Measures that You Should Take to Fix the Error 0x8004010f:
After performing all the above solutions if you still the face error, then you should check the points given below:
- After making the new Outlook Profile, you have to make sure that the previous Outlook profile has been removed completely. Furthermore, you also need to note that you do not get any further issues before leaving the old PST files to the latest assigned location.
- But, if Outlook mail displays the same issue that defining the following notification: ‘Outlook data file cannot be accessed’, then you have to remove the email client from the Control Panel of your system as well as reinstall it.
- In Outlook 2016, this issue may happen with a similar error code, but here you should see a different message, ‘0x8004010f: The Operation failed. An object could not be found.’ To solve this error, you need to be careful not to access the Outlook data files in Outlook 2016. Try to migrate all the PST data files of your system by following similar steps mentioned above.
On the Whole
In the above post, we have provided some of the easiest solutions to fix the Outlook error 0x8004010f. We hope if you implement the above steps in their respective order, then it will help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully performing the above methods, if you still face any kind of issues, then you need to connect with a tech expert. Additionally, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.