There are several instances when you encounter an unexpected error while using the Windows operating system. Such errors really appear unexpectedly, and without any prior notice. One of that error is “Error Ox80070091” which follows an error message indicating “An unexpected error is keeping you from deleting the folder: Error Ox80070091: The director is not empty”. However, the message clearly denotes that you cannot delete a folder you wish to delete. The part which signifies “the director is not empty” can leave you perplexed about what the message clearly signifies. The most obvious situation is that while deleting a file or folder from your computer, you encounter this error. This will lead to certain confusions like unable to install any specific app or update. Henceforth, follow this post generously to know the efficacious fixes concerning Error Ox80070091.
When you Encounter Error Ox80070091?
Let us check the circumstances under which you can view this error:
- You don’t have administrative rights to the computer which refrains you from erasing any specific file or folder.
- Computer’s hard drive is considered to be bad sectors.
- Corrupted drivers.
- Too many junk files present in the temporary location folder.
Fixing Error Ox80070091
Although errors may appear as a minor issue at the onset, it will prevent you to perform some tasks on the PC. Therefore, it is imperative to fix this at the earliest. Have a look at different ways to fix Error Ox80070091 issue.
Fix 1: Simple Troubleshooting Steps
Performing the below measures can remove this Error Ox80070091 in no time.
- First of all, you need to perform a thorough scan of the installed anti-virus program.
- Next, you need to ensure that you are using the PC having total administrative rights.
Henceforth, follow the above two steps before rebooting the PC and attempt to delete the file to examine whether the aforementioned error persists or not.
Fix 2: Erase Junk Files
Accumulated junk files can be the major cause of the Error Ox80070091 Windows 10. If you remove these files on a periodic basis, you can easily get rid of this annoying problem.
- You need to click Windows key, as well as, X key in order to open the menu.
- After that, you need to choose the Command Prompt option.
- Moreover, hit on YES in order to run command prompt as administrator.
- Provide cleanmgr before you press Enter.
- The tool will start running automatically and formulate how much-used space will be there on the hard disk. Furthermore, you need to examine all the dialogue boxes covered up by irrelevant files, which comprise temporary file box.
- Then, you need to press OK in order to erase all junk files.
Go for another attempt to erase a file or folder if you wish to delete to examine Error Ox80070091.
Fix 3: Own the File/Folder
There might be a case that you can’t delete a file when you are signed in to the P.C as the administrator. Therefore, it is necessary to inspect the properties of such files or folders in order to know whether you have administrative rights or not.
- First, you need to click in order to open Windows Explorer.
- Then, you need to open the parent directory of the file you wish to remove.
- Next, you need to right-click on the file before you choose its properties.
- Moreover, you need to press the Security tab. After that, navigate to Advanced option. Then, you need to click on the Owner.
- After that, you need to modify files or folder ownership to the New Owner.
- Next, you need to choose Replace Owner in Sub-container, as well as, Objects.
- Eventually, you need to close the window before you make an attempt to remove the file to examine whether the issue is resolved or not.
Fix 4: Run System File Checker
If you run the inbuilt system file checker tool, you can easily resolve this annoying error Ox80070091 Windows 10. The tool can scan, as well as, fix this infected file, which is cited as the major cause.
- First, you need to press Start.
- Then, you need to provide ‘cmd’ in the Search programs and files box.
- After that, you need to press Ctrl, Shift, as well as, Enter key at the same time before you press OK in order to open a command prompt.
- Next, you need to enter ‘chkdsk/f/r’ into the prompt before you tap Enter.
- Then, you need to press Y as per the obtained notification.
- Finally, you need to restart the P.C to permit disk check. Then, you need to provide tool time in order to finish before you attempt to erase the file or folder to examine whether the error is resolved or not.
Fix 5: Execute Disk Check Tool
The inbuilt check utility is more or less similar to the file checker. It mainly concentrates on fixing bad sectors on the hard disk. If you run this properly, you can easily remove this disgusting error.
- First of all, you need to press Win, as well as, X key at the same time.
- After that, you need to choose the Command Prompt option.
- Next, you need to click YES in order to run command prompt as administrator.
- Then, you need to provide ‘chkdsk C/f/r/x’.
- Now, you need to tap Enter in order to perform the thorough scan. Allow this to complete before you start rebooting your PC and deleting file/folder you wish to delete to check whether the error is resolved or not.
Method 6: Update Computer Drivers
Updating the computer will not be effective as such because of outdated drivers. Damaged or Outdated errors can definitely be a major cause of Windows error.
- First, you need to right-click on My Computer before you choose Properties.
- Next, you need to choose Device Manager.
- Hover over all the devices listed, while you search for any device marked with a yellow exclamation.
- Moreover, you need to right-click on any device before selecting Update Driver.
- Finally, you need to reboot your PC after the update. This should be done before you make an attempt to delete the file or folder.
Fix 7: Restoring The System
You need to run the system restore to resolve this error Ox80070091 if the above method fails.
- First, you need to press Win, as well as, Q keys.
- Then, you need to press Settings.
- Next, you need to select the Recovery icon.
- After that, you need to choose System Restore from the open window.
- Thereafter, you have to choose a previous date when your PC worked without any issues.
- The tool will start running before you shut down the PC and restart it again.
- File will automatically be removed. Else, you can delete it without any Ox80070091 problem.
To Sum it up
Hopefully, this article will give you a thorough informative review pertaining to effective fixes for error Ox80070091. If you follow this article patiently, you can surely overcome the above problem. However, you can refer the user manual to have a quick glance. Also, you can provide your valuable in the comment section present at the bottom.